View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 01:35 PM   #13
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
Re-tread tires are very common on large trucks. However AFAIK trucks never use them on the front wheels, because they can fail, rather spectaculary. If you look off to the sides of major interstates you can often see the remains of re-treaded truck tires that have failed.

quote:
I figured they must be good in our snow/ice conditions if they work in Iceland, too!
The parts of Iceland where most of the people live don't get as much snow as people think. In fact Albany NY tends to have more snow then Reykjavik Iceland.

If you were worried about snow/ice you should have gone with a set of Nokian tires. They make an excelent all-weather tire that has great snow performance, IIRC it is the only all-season tire that carries the Severe Service Emblem. The emblem is given to "Tires Suitable for Use in Severe Snow Conditions".

I also thought I'd point out that the website contains atleast one piece of information that is total BS. "Silicon carbide granules" are not "actual industrial diamonds".
[/QUOTE]Yeah, Nokia for the win! We finns know a thing or two about winter driving as well

On a more serious note, if you're looking for safe winter driving, you should go with something like the famous Nokian Hakkapeliitta I or II series. Both offer excellent driving safety in harsh winter conditions, though they aren't really the all-around-the-year kind of tires. If you need an all around good tire, you could go with Nokia WR...it's designed for all seasons. Can't beat a specific purpose tire, but prolly one of the better all arounders. All might be a bit noisy, but thats what snow tires will do for ya.

http://www.epinions.com/auto-Tires-A...nce_type-Nokia
A few user reviews just for the fun of it. Found the first one amusing

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote