Thread: smoking
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 11:36 AM   #18
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

As far as the habit of smoking is concerned, it is a matter of choice. Some people choose to starve so that they could smoke more, but of course this does not apply to all people. The same goes for booze.

Some establishment do have smoking zone. Maybe they shouldn't do that but there are many smokers as non-smokers out there too, any good businessman would try to accomodate for both, even though the solution might not be practical or elegant.

I am a smoker and yet I refrain from smoking in front of my children. When I go to any eating establishment, I always choose the non-smoking section, unless when I am not with my children.

When I am with my children and family, I would always go for the table which is farest from the smoking section as possible. I tend to avoid restaurant that do not enforce strict smoking control, even the food might have been the "best in town".

For the issue of bar/pub, sorry... that's too bad. This is the place that people come to relax and enjoy. There are way too many drinkers (that smoke too) to enforce smoking control at all.

Lastly, people who do not respect others by smoking in public places (for example, mall and etc) are usually the same type of irresponsible people who would break any rules which pose inconvenience to them. If there is a "no drinking zone", you will notice that these are the same people who would break that rule too. As far as I am concerned, as a smoker, I always obey the rules.

Before we go any further, car costs more polution and global warming than cigarette smokes. Shouldn't we ban cars instead? How about fart? Shouldn't farting be blamed for "air polution" as well?

The problem with some of these stuff is that:
a. we need it (car).
b. we can't help it (fart).

so, people usually pick on something that they do need or they don't have the habit of doing.

Lastly, I DO agree on smoking control. But please do not mistake smokers as "scum of the earth". Without the countless smoking GIs, most of you would probably be speaking german or japanese.

The "perfect" leader that doesn't not smoke or drink turn out to the Aldolf Hitler. I don't know about you, but I would rather go for a leader that has some "character flaw/weakness" than a seemingly "perfect" person.

[ 11-26-2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]