View Single Post
Old 11-03-2002, 02:48 PM   #80
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Sorry, Kaltia, dear, but the Forgottten Realms dieties weren't convenient for me, though I suppose I could have used Mystra.

Later that night, when dinner was done, the women gathered in Galadria's study again. This time, they all sat around the great circular table in the center of the room, while the dark mage uncovered a bowl, curiously carved, and poured water into it from a special flask. She concentrated, her eyes fixed on the water and Sefa's hand held tightly in hers. In a moment, the Guardian known to them as Fasz appeared. "Greetings, oh, Fasz, " Galadria intoned. "Do you know this one?"
"Greetings to you, Galadria Godspawn," a deep voice replied. "You mean the one whose hand you hold? Yes, her spirit has been present when you have addressed me before. Do you have aught to ask concerning her?"
"Indeed, oh, Fasz. Today, I was told of whom her father might be, which was until now unknown to us. Can you tell me aught of this?"
Fasz seemed to consider. "Yes, Galadria, I believe that I might help. Her father is indeed alive. He is located somewhere to the southwest of you. His name is Snurrl. Her mother I cannot find, and this means that she is no more. Does this assist you?"
Sefa exhaled sharply. So, the story was true. Her own father, and he did not even care enough to ransom her. Tears came unbidden into her eyes.
Her Mistress was speaking, and she rivetted her attention to the scene before her eyes. "Yes, oh, Fasz, it does indeed. Thank you for this and your other kindnesses."
"Thanks to me are not needed," replied the voice, "from the one that rid the universe of Me'elshadrixx. Any help I can give, you have deserved. Farewell, for now." The image disappeared, and they were again looking at a bowl full of clear water.
"Well, Gal," Cythera offered, "I guess that we won't have to have the Ceremony after all. So, Sefa, your father was the famous thief, Snurrl. I hear that he stole the giant diamond eye out of a statue of some Southern demon god, and had to stay on the run for ten years before he got forgiveness."
"Hmmf,' sniffed Sefa, "it seems to me that if he had been any good, they wouldn't have known who did the job."
Noemi brightened and cut in, "No, what I heard was that the Eye of Raieros - that's what it was called - kept telling the priests where he was. That was his mistake, not getting the swag boosted quick enough,"
Sefa was unyielding. "No thief worth his or her salt keeps the loot around longer than necessary. Ten years, he should have gotten some idea that the gem was narking him out."
"Ah," replied Cythera, "by then he had fallen in love with it."
Noemi giggled. "I would have fallen out of love with that diamond the first time a cobra fell out of my boot."
"Well, anyway," Sefa exploded, "he loved that old stone more than his own flesh and blood, that being me. Why didn't the old sod take some of his profits and ransom me?"
Galadria, who had been thinking deeply and not really paying attention to the conversation, came back to reality with a snap. She went and embraced Sefa, who began to cry, not really knowing why. "There, there, Sefa," she said soothingly, "I know that you feel badly used, and you were, you were, but it led to you being here with us, now. Just think, you escaped the brothel that they wanted to sell you to, and you escaped the streets. Think of what a strong, determined girl - woman, I should say - that your experiences have made of you."
Sefa sniffled a little. "I guess so," she finally said, "and you all are the very best family anyone would want. I guess if he really didn't want me, I'm much better off with people who chose to be with me for what I am."
"But, he did want you," Galadria replied, "he just let his silly pride stand in the way. By the time he realized what he had done, you were lost to him. Now, it is your decision and yours alone whether to make contact. It would be a kind act, I think, to put an end to what they say is his mourning for you, but remember that even kind acts have consequences, even bad ones. This Snurrl could be a wicked man indeed, one that you wouldn't want to be a part of your life. I have already said that you shall never be forced from here if it is your desire to stay, so, think it over carefully. There is no need to decide, now."
But Galadria was not the only one who could employ scrying devices.
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote