Thread: Drugs
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Drugs

I'll take a Yes on this one, but only because my real choice isn't there - a qualified yes.

Medication helps address things, for sure. I was on blood pressure medication because mine was up there, and it helped. When I took care of the underlying causes (no exercise, bad diet, and an extra 62 pounds in various places on my body), the need for the med disappeared.

I'm no expert in depression and other similar challenges, but I *expect* that the role of meds is to alleviate things in light of an underlying cause. Just like that extra four stones or so I was carrying, combined with a lack of exercise, caused my heart to work harder. For a good three years, I did nothing else but take the meds. Worked just fine, but it cost me something every month.

When I started doing something about it, two months later (and only 25 pounds lighter, less than half of where I ended up), I was off meds.

I recently got back on BP meds, largely because I stopped paying attention to my diet and because I got sloppy about exercising. That lead to *intense* headaches, which revealed that my BP was back up. I'm focusing on those again, and within another month or two, should be able to get off the meds again.

Now, all of that is to get to what I *think* is a simple point, and one that may or may not be valid...

I propose that depression has an underlying cause (or two, or three...). IMHO, taking meds while dealing with the underlying causes is a good thing. Taking meds *instead of* dealing with the underlying cause is a bad thing, and while it may be good for a short while, in the long run it's not.

So... is the counsellor (checks spelling ) suggesting this *while* dealing with the underlying cause(s), or *instead of* dealing with the underlying causes?

The answer to that leads me to my own personal decision. And should help you in finding yours, DS.

Cheers. You've got friends who care for you just because.

And that's my American two cents, worth... .0052789 more than Variol's Candian two cents, based on the currency converter I found

Gods, that's getting too geeky...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote