View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #45
MagiK
Emerald Dragon

Default Re: Teaching enviromentalism "indoctrination"?

First want to apologize, I didnt mean to be singling you out
in my comments, sorry.

Second, if we will figure something out, then we should do so BEFORE wrecking our economy (as if it could get much worse) and costing the tax payers billions and billions. You cannot force industry to invent technology on demand. Government can lend incentives to the game by giving corporate tax breaks for those companies who are doing the research and I mean serious incentives, if the tech is too costly to research, it won't get done. This is called a progressive scheme, a Regressive scheme is what I see the Green movement backing too much of the time. Regressive plans are things like Putting extra taxes on gas and oil, or taxing people who buy SUV's at higher rates regressive policies hurt the consumer, the people and do nothing or very little to spur innovation and growth.

I don't know anyone in my personal life who is not for cleaner more efficient technology. I do know that none of them want to get there by going back to the horse and buggy days while we research the better alternatives. (Do you know how deep the horse waste would be in a city if we had to go back to livestock driven transportation? That is something no one ever remembers...the smell of all that dung.)

But I digresss

Edit: You asked a question I missed. Something along the lines of "Whats the harm in diversifying the energy used for trasportation" thats a failry simple answer....Economy of Scale. COST is the factor. The reason Electric and Hybrid vehicles and CNG are not widely used is COST, and NEED. Right now Electric and Hybrid vehicles do not meet the needs of many if not most americans. Whether due to range or carry capacity or cost. It costs MORE to produce a variety than it does to produce a large quantity of one item. Technology is advancing but the reality is Battery technology has not really changed very much from the 1800's. It has been mostly evolutionary change when what is needed is REVOLUTIONARY changes. No one has come up with a way to seriously improve the battery in the way we have improved transportation, or food production and that is something we need...but physics may not allow it....we do not know.

Last edited by MagiK; 02-11-2009 at 12:42 PM.
MagiK is offline   Reply With Quote