View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #45
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: HD Version of Baldur's Gate?

Yeah it's no BG3, but gladly it is more than just HD. Otherwise we would be calling it BG HD right now after the announcement. Anyways, aren't there mods that render it in HD already? I can't remember. Usually with "enhanced" versions of games they add optimizations and limited content that doesn't reinvent the game but does update and streamline it.

The Witcher for example, saw reduced loading times, Ui optimizations and many new animations and monsters. From Wikipedia.

Quote:
At Game Developers Conference 2008, CD Projekt announced an enhanced version of the game which was released on September 16, 2008. The significant changes featured in the enhanced version are over 200 new animations, additional NPC models and recoloring of generic NPC models as well as monsters, vastly expanded and corrected dialogues in translated versions, improved stability, redesigned inventory system and load times reduced by roughly 80%.[30][31][32] In addition all bugs are said to be fixed and the game manual completely overhauled. There are also two new adventures available to play through: Side Effects and The Price of Neutrality. A new option is to mix and match ten different languages of voice and subtitles. For instance, players can now choose to play the game with Polish voices and English subtitles. Other featured languages are Russian, Italian, French, Spanish, German, Czech, Hungarian and Chinese.
So take heart, given that they have even pimped the project out to another dev, this may indeed be the closest thing to a new BG fans will get anytime soon.

Since The Witcher is relatively new and the time between versions quite short in context, I expect a myriad of changes to BG in comparison. 14 years leaves alot of improvements to be made as they update the game for a modern audience with modern technology. I would guess the following to be included. All guesswork and speculation btw.

- HD textures with recolors. Prolly HD sound too.
- Compatible high resolutions (a given).
- New animations (hopefully all of the spell animations or maybe only a handful)
- New models.
- New UI or streamlined existing. I am almost certain those draconic dialogue boxes will be replaced. No more half of your screen taken up by an NPC convo. Prolly transparent boxes like NWN's.
- Spellcasting might become easier/more intuitive. Quickcast bars may be used.

Probably some new sidequests and/or incorporated mods. Possibly some new PC's. If they do include new PC's you can be sure they will release some as premium content making them "purcahse only". Another way to milk an existing franchise for more. You can also be sure they will make a killing on premium DLC's just like Bioware did with Dragon Age - was prolly a selling point when they pitched it.