Thread: Hardest soloing
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2001, 05:25 AM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Mages, Why They Are Easy To Solo With.
----------------------------------------

STR: Why do you need STR? How much can a Quarterstaff/Scroll Case/Gem Bag/Robe/Cloak/etc... weigh? The only time I needed to wear a Strength Girdle was to carry the illitium ore for the Sir Sarles quest. I usually only have 12 STR for my Mages.

I gave mine the +20 strength girdle. If ever I was out of spells, or simply had to fight h2h, it came in handy. Especially vs Golems and Elementals when using the smiting rod, and respective elemental staffs.

Or, when using time stop, and whacking a mage with the staff of the magi a couple of times (dispel plus damage)

DEX: 18 DEX is ideal, but then you can survive with 8 DEX thanks to Stoneskin/Mirror Image/Blur/Mislead/etc...

I found high dex helpful. Without spells my Sorc had an armour class of -5. (Rings, cloaks, robes etc) Never needed stoneskin. Spell slots went on better things like Mantle/prot from magic weapons/Shapechange etc.

CON: 17 CON, if only to sacrifice one point during Chapter 4. Hp, while nice, is not a main factor for Mage because they rarely get hit.

Says who? I liked to shapechange into an Iron Golem to pound Elder Orbs for example. (100% magic resistance) High hitpoints were vital. With 18 constitution I had roughly 71 hitpoints at level 21. I could also take damage from my own spells. Fireballs near me? No worries.

INT: 18 INT, for the spells, although you can reduce it if you are a Sorcerer.

WIS: 18 WIS only if you want to use the wish spells regularly, otherwise 10 is enough.

Didn't know about he wish diff. What does it give you? I had 12 wisdom and always got shafted in the negotiations, so I didn't take the spell on. I made sure I had high wis (potion) when talking to Spectator Beholder of course, but otherwise.... blast it.

CHA: 12 is enough.
Maybe. I had 10 and kept the ring of human influence nearby to slip on when dealing with NPCs. I always found high Charisma useful.

Once you attain level 15, you become very strong, and once you hit level 18, dying becomes accidental. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Yeah yeah, tough talk. I still had to do many reloads and I was level 22. Mind you, I like changing tactics around. I'm not one to use the "same spell" every time.

Ever completed Suldanesslar to the end of SoA in less than an hour?( gametime) With a Sorcerer you can, and slightly longer for a Mage

Yes, with a solo Monk. Was a breeze. It took me longer with my solo Sorcerer.

http://www.hughwilson.com