View Single Post
Old 12-01-2000, 05:52 PM   #10
Rusty
Welcomed New User

I found Planescape to be a much better game than W&W. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying W&W despite it's coding flaws; the main reason I'm lukewarm on it is that as a game it's not terribly far away from Wizardry I (yes, I go back that far). Think about it: strip away the eye-candy, which in this sort of game is really superfluous, and you're not far from a knockoff of a 15-year-old RPG. The characters in W&W are completely cardboard. They have no personality whatsoever and no means of developing any. The quests for the most part are pure fetch exercises. The story could hardly be more hackneyed. Nevertheless as a computer equivilent of 'comfort food' I'm having a lot of fun.
Ah, but Planescape! One of the very few computer games that has ever produced a deep emotional response in me! People complain about too much reading...well, that's because in order to have a deep story and characters with history and personality, you're going to have to read a lot. Hey, it's a game, to each his own, you like Quake, well God bless! But these are 'role playing games', the premise is to have a compelling character that we can project ourselves into. And Planescape has the most original, gripping, wildest and engrossing story and characterization I've ever seen in a CRPG. I rate it one of the top 2 or 3 of all time. Forgive me for gushing, but that game got my attention!

Get it!
Rusty