View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 02:52 AM   #124
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Tech Tips (game not working? Read this!)

Hi! I've search around and found this, hope it works for those who are using win7.

Quote:
Play Wizards & Warriors On Windows 7
By Jonathan Moeller - Last updated: Wednesday, August 25, 2010

One of the computer games I’ve enjoyed the most was the old “Wizards & Warriors” dungeon-crawl RPG, released way back in 2000. Getting it to work properly on Windows 7 is something of a challenge, but it is possible. Here’s how to do it.

First, you need to configure the game’s compatibility settings. Right-click on the shortcut for the game and select Properties. When the “Properties” dialog box appears, click on the Compatibility tab. You’ll need to enable the following settings:

-Run the program in compatibility mode for Windows 98 / Windows ME

-Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution.

-Disable desktop composition.

-Run tthis program as an administrator.

This will allow the game to run in Windows 7, but the town interfaces will not work. The town interface screens are based off an old form of the AVI codec, which isn’t supported properly in versions of Windows beyond Windows 98. To get the town interface screen to work properly, download a program called Virtualdub, which you can get by following this link.

Using Virtualdub, convert all the AVI files in this directory:

C:\Program Files\Activision\WizardsWarriors\townavi

To do so, open the AVI files, and from Virtualdub’s file menu, select “Save as old”. Make absolutely sure the new files have the same name as the old ones, otherwise they will not work.

Once the AVI files have been converted, you can now play Wizards & Warriors. Enjoy!

-JM
Source = http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=1977
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote