Thread: Guns.
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2002, 07:30 PM   #42
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Very true. Before you find yourself in a situation where you have to act, you cannot really know what you would do to defend yourself. I for one certainly never considered that I would even be *able* to act violently in self-defence - but when it came to the crunch, I realised I could and would. I am now a much more confident person as a result, and completely re-evaluated my thoughts on use of violence. In situations like that, anger can be a life-saver - and until you're there, you don't know the extent of anger you are capable of.
I speculated a lot about what I would do the first time I was faced with a life and death situation. Turns out I was scared spitless screamed my head off, unloaded my clip into the air and then hid behind my sandbags while I spent nearly 10 mintues trying to figure out how to reload (something I had trained to do with my eyes closed for years)......fortunatley for us, the terrorists were only interested in spraying the building with ammo then running for the hills before the Marine cobra's arrived on site....I did much better after I survived that first round of ...panic. The old vets lauhed their arses off at me...but then later they told me they had had pretty much the same experience in their first firefight.

You know...after you get that first experience behind you (assumingyou survive) you do gain a lot of confidence and you do believe in yourself a lot...it may partly help why I sound so arrogant [img]smile.gif[/img] I am a rather....confident person...doesnt make any future crisis any less scary but at least you know what to expect.

[ 05-19-2002, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]