View Single Post
Old 09-30-2000, 10:12 PM   #7
efrog

What a great game. I love the depth of it The first person perspective is just so much more submersive.(The felling of really being there)
Party creation is involving, but really gets you familiar with your characters. There are your standard characters like Humans, Dwarves and Elves, but also
Lizzords, (rather hideous lizard creatures), Whiskahs,(fast and sleek tiger-like), and Oomphaz (spiritual elephantine creatures). I was glad I had a Whiskah in my party. With their ability to see in the dark, it made the crypt much easier to explore.
Combat is really fun. I have a blast running backwards, firing range weapons, and then stopping,
dropping into turnbase, and really thinking out my moves.
The whole Adaptive Time Phasing system is very forgiving, much like M&M 6-7.(its good Idea to fire a range weapon as soon as you see a enemy so that you’ll automatically drop to turn-base)
The monsters’ movements are smooth and life-like and their surface maps are superb.
The way those skeletons rise out of the graves sent chills time my spine.
And I could not believe it when I first went up to a horse and climbed on for a ride.
How all six of my party got on there I don’t know, but it was fun just the same.
Exploring is exciting and the active map scrolls as you walk so that you can see where you’ve been. Nice touch!
The Game world reminds me of Daggerfalls, but it does not have that lonely feel to it. There are nice ambient sounds and small creatures running or flying all around you.
The interface, although not the most intuitive I’ve seen, is now second nature.
If you want a no brainer, jump in, kill some baddies-type of game, you might want to forgo this one.
But if you’re up for a smart well-crafted gaming experience, don’t miss this one.
If you enjoyed the Eye of the Beholder series, M&M, and of course Wizardry, you’ll love this game.