View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

El_kalkylus, that is indeed a strong party, but you seem light on Wizard spells (your Swashbuckler->Mage is the only one, although the Wizard Slayer->Thief can use scrolls & Wands), and overly heavy on Priest spells: The Totemic->Fighter Dual is a strong one (although I myself would wait until I had a few Druid HLAs), but when offset by the Ranger->Cleric, completely redundant.

Quote:
Originally posted by el_kalkylus:
6 chars
great range attacks
good melee
good magic
very easy party to use
no need for buff spells all the time
easy beginning
easy middle game
easy end
Hmm....my criteria are somewhat different:

The Tank is a HELLA Tank
Everybody but the Tank has some spellcasting power
Everybody but the Tank has good range attack
Everybody's a Warrior
All Thieving skills (except Pockets) are covered ASAP
Both sides of the Priest scroll are covered
At least 1.5 Wizards
Weapon proficiencies spread out and consistent
Somebody can use Carsomyr

With that in mind, I'd say that the perfect party is:
Halfling Fighter/Thief (Tank in BG2, Backup Tank in early BG1)
Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric (Tank in early BG1, Backup Tank in BG2)
Elven Fighter/Mage
Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist
Elven Fighter/Thief/Mage
Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric/Mage

In BG1, when the game is ruled by Fighters, these guys can wear Plate and Helmets, and shoot lots & lots of Arrows. In SoA, when the game is ruled by spellcasters and Saving Throws, these guys have got spellpower up the wazoo--and Halfling Fighters have the exact same Saves as Dwarven Fighters. In ToB, when the game is ruled by Multiclasses, especially Multiclassed Warriors, well....you can see for yourself. True, it's likely that the two tripleclassed Mages will never be able to cast Time Stop, so either one of them can be regarded as (temporarily) optional in BG2, if having two TimeStop-capable Fighters is not enough for you.