View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 07:42 PM   #45
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

1. I voted pro life, because that is closest to my personal views, however, if there was a pro life/pro choice button I would have selected that one.

2. Why? Because morally, I am against abortion but I also understand that they have and will always happen - IMHO it is far better for it to be performed in clinical conditions with the support of councelling and the community. I do believe that education and pre choice (not getting pregnant where possible - ie. contraception) needs to be a part of this system.

A pregnancy resulting from rape is tough. My wife and I have decided that no matter what the circumstances are, we would not consider abortion an option. We feel that it is up to the individual to make their decision - between them and their morals, but we believe we also have the right to disagree with the act of abortion.
No picketing clinics from us though.

3. Whether that conflicts with your religion's stance on the issue? No. I don't believe so. My religion - Christian - tells me that God gave everyone a free will and they shall be judged accordingly. It is not up to me to judge and as I hardly know everything, there are possible circumstances in many areas where I feel they are wrong but God judges differently.

4. Answered above.

5. I do not support the death penalty but consider that a different issue.

MHO is that life begins at conception. And therefore all foetus' have the right to life. I see abortion seperate from murder (as defined by law) because of the grey issues of mother-at-risk, and rape.

The other issue I worry about, is that I believe fathers should have a voice when it comes to abortion, but again this is circumstantial - ie: a rapist should not, a one night stand probably not, but a long term partner should.