View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 06:05 PM   #43
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
If the pro-choice people would just admit that they are not pro-choice but really pro-abortion and make a truely pro-choice group who also counsel mothers about adoption and other alternatives besides abortion I would feel more comfortable and not consider them liars and deceivers. Yeah not all pro-choice people are anti-adoption, but most of them wont counsel their patients about it so, they all get lumped together.

There...those are my last words, tear me apart if you want but Im saying nothing more on the subject.
Sure, I'll be happy to tear you apart. Seriously, though, I thinnk your "pro-choice people would admit" bit is unfair and untrue. It might just be a bit insulting, but hey we're all adults (ahem, well mostly) here, so that's okay.

But, I think most pro-choicers are begrudginly pro-choice because they are forced to choose between two evils:
1. Limiting the freedom of the mother, and
2. Ending a human existence or possible existence, whether or not it is "alive" or "human" at the time.

Given this choice, I think most folks balance the evils and end up falling somewhere around the notion that the mom's choice triumphs, but only early on. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but it's how I get there would get there with my views (if the politics of population theory were cast aside).

Now, I'll give it to ya, and I don't think I've hedged on this, that I'm more of the "pro-abortion / pro-death" group. But, in the end I think I'm a rarity and your view of most pro-choicers is simply not the case.

As for your personal views you stated, I respect them and they seem heartfelt and well-founded. Good show.