Thread: Life is Fragile
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2001, 04:49 PM   #1
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

It's a gorgeous day here in Texas. Bright and sunny, and warm. I was walking to the manager's office in my apartment complex to borrow a plunger. (toilet is draining slowly, better take care of that) A cute squirel runs ahead of me, into the bushes. It was a symbol for the great day I've been having.

On my way back to return the plunger, I saw the squirel laying in the middle of the driveway. It had been hit, and was dead. The blood had already dried and faded. It wasn't 10 minutes from when I had seen it.

It reminded me of an entry in my journal, from my youth. I was ten when it happened. I had just past the date the doctors had said would be my end. And I was getting stronger.

Quote:
Once, while walking, I came upon a small bird whose wing was broken. I felt pity, and so moved to put her out of her misery. I thought that I could help.

As I knelt, she stared at me in defiance. She sang one note: a symphony - a single sound so sweet and pure that my eyes filled with tears before the echo left my mind.

Pain filled me, running like a river through a valley; quickly, inexorably, straight to the pit of my stomach, filling me. I watched her struggle.

In her simple fight for survival, she taught me a lifetime. She showed me the truth. About myself, my life.

When she lay still, I glanced down. Her blood had stained my shoes, mingled with my tears.

With her death, I learned to live. I learned the Truth.

That was the day I came to life. (end Quote)

Dylan Thomas wrote:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

That's pretty much a synopsis of me life and it's meaning. I rage against the dying of the light.

Live every day as if it's your last. And if it is, let it be your best. If it is not, then fall on your knees, give thanks and vow to live as if it were.

The ThinkingDawg

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Phil