View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 05:13 PM   #11
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Larry - I've already decided to pursue some computer classes at the local community college. It will really be great since I won't care diddly about what kind of grade I get - I'll just be going to get the knowledge itself. And I really have spent that much money on the system. I've spent about the same amount as the cost of a new system. Then again, all of my components ARE new, so it's basically the same thing. All told, I've spent around $450 on the machine in the last 6 months.

One thing I hope to do is maybe offer my own repair services once I learn enough. All the local business charge at least $25 just to LOOK at the system - whether they do anything or not. I would like to do some "under the table work" for individuals that can't afford to pay that kind of money just to be told what is wrong with their system.

Iron Greasel - Yes, I swapped the keyboard from my other machine and had the same problem. So the problem is in the System Configurations instead of the keyboard itself. I've spent a little over an hour working on the PC today. There is an XP Command for "System Restore" which I think might work...unfortunately, it won't run the program. I choose the option to "Restore System", click "NEXT", and nothing happens. :crying2:

A few other symptoms of my current problem that I forgot to mention in the OP.

When I turn my system on, I get a pop-up screen asking if I want to turn on the "Filter Keys". This is something new that has not shown up before. I've tried turning them on, turning them off, and even going into Accessibility Options and turning on the StickyKeys and Toggle Keys. Nothing works - but whatever the 2yr old did has caused the "Filter Keys" pop-up screen to appear each time the system Restarts.

Also, when I go into My Documents (or any other folder for that matter) and click on a file or folder, the PC will highlight ALL the icons above that particular file/folder and open them ALL. I tried to open 1 Word Document and the machine opened 14 different windows. The same thing happens when I finally get onto the internet. I went into the main menu for IW forums, but couldn't choose just one forum to go into, because the mouse would highlight ALL the forums listed above my choice. That's not so bad if I'm coming to G.D., but it sucks BIG-TIME if I want to go into the C.E. forum.

The thing is, I'm SURE that I can undo whatever my son did, it's just a matter of figuring out how. Like I said before, this is actually the second time he has done this and I managed to bungle around and click on the right thing to get the system to restore it's default settings before, but nothing has worked this time around.

I think the System Restore might work, but I can't get it to initiate. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img] So if anybody can tell me how to access the system configurations and change them, I would appreciate it.