View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #36
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:
It is not always as easy as it sounds to just "pick up and move" someplace where there ARE jobs available. Unless the woman is willing to live in her car or look for a homeless shelter, she will have a difficult time finding a place to live unless she already has the money to support herself.
Yeah, I fully realise that not everyone would be prepared to give up the conveniences that they are used to in order to find work. Which is why i said my lifestyle doesn't necessarily translate to everyone else.

Still, it's just a case of adaptability. I lived in a tent/crashed on couches for a couple of weeks a year or two back while looking for work. It would be harder to do with children in tow, certainly. But again I think that one of the 'shortcomings' (read: 'things I don't like') of Western consumer culture is that we're too attached to our daily routines and static creature comforts. I think a bit of 'upheaval' is healthy for people. I could get into my wishy-washy theories of how our bodies just arn't designed for sedentary lifestyles etc etc but that would overly self-indulgent...