View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 03:52 PM   #4
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Ar-Cunin:
I decided to delete my thread as I don't think we need two thread on one subject.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So - how many of you saw the speech

Personally I don't think it changes anything - since there wasn't any 'smoking gun'. The contries that support a war will continue to do so - as will the the ones that favour continued UN action.

At best there was circumstantial evidence - and the case proving the Al-Queda - Iraq link was very weak. The most damning 'evidence' was the intercepted telephone-conversations.
Yep, and even that's debatable. Not so much that they were made but, and take it from someone living in a country with 3 official languages and where also English is thaught at schools, translations sometimes have a tendency to favor the one translating it. I'll only truly believe it when i hear someone confirming those translations, someone independent, who speaks the language. I know, from experience, that a certain word in one language can sometimes have a totaly different meaning in another. Meaning that that word can not be translated and have the same overall meaning.

I'm not saying that these tapes are false or badly translated and i'm not taking an opinion on which side i favor, i'm just stating a point.