View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Default Re: Dragon Age 2 (Rant included, PG)

Colour me unsuprised at this news.

I just finished Awakening for the first time in 14 hours and I must say that it was very lukewarm compared to even Origins, which was mediocre at best. Then you compare it to the likes of Throne of Bhaal or Tales of the SwordCoast and it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Insipid level design, unmemorable encounters, lack of quality choices that made Origins somewhat interesting and very weak short responses in dialogue.

Mass Effect 2 was a 22 hour experience for me and whilst having an interesting enough characters and interactive cut-scenes, its weak combat and streamlined (i.e dumbed down) character system spoilt it and made it relatively forgettable.

To see the Dragon Age IP travel down this Mass Effect direction and away from the traditional cRPG even more, is not really a surprise if you consider the financial success that BioWare and EA have had as a consequence. Doesn't make it any less frustrating for the roleplayers amongst us though.

For more information on Dragon Effect, check RPGWatch's reactions/links: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10917
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Last edited by CerebroDragon; 07-14-2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: addition of url
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote