View Single Post
Old 11-09-2000, 06:33 PM   #11
Lily the Ranger

You folks are supposed to be helping me progress in my quest, not providing me with irrestable temptations . . . freud, you trouble maker you! But no one is twisting my arm, either to read your tales or try to write my own.

A young, priest was hurrying to his appointment with an air of both resignation and resentment when he heard a sobbing sound from the stables by the Inn of Valeia. His investigation led him to discover a young elf girl sobbing in the corner of a stall while trying to muffle the sound into the fur of the innkeeper's hound. Unable to simply walk away and feeling almost the same about his proposed position at the Abbey of Emerald Lake he was compelled to inquire as to the nature of her distress.

"I stold it, like a common thief, I stold it and ran away." This was all he could get out of her for a few minutes. Finally, she slowed the rate of her tears and began to pour out her story while he nodded sympathetically. "I was to marry an elven wine merchant - this was part of my dowery. I won't marry some drunken old man! He beat his last wife to death. Everyone knows it but he's too powerful for anyone to risk accusing him. How could my father allow himself to fall into debt and try to use me and the dowry from my grandparents to pay it off."

Alaric could not resist asking her, "How much are you worth, my lady . . . your name, please?" He thought she might throw the dog or the purse of gold coins into his face but then to his surprise she laughed. "Why 1000 gold was my father's debt and he thought having six daughters it would be a bargain to use the youngest as payment along with the 200 gold I carry. Tisn't often a Lily is worth that much."

He helped her to her feet. The similiar facts of their lives giving him inspiration to make an impulsive decision that had been persistantly whispering in the back of his mind since his father had informed him that priest was his only career choice. "I have 200 gold also; meant to buy my way into the Abbey. It is my family's opinion I would be better off there as the for the sixth son of a small landowner. I don't want to spend my time copying scrolls, praying, changing bedding, and gardening. I'm not going. There has always been a hope that some day I could be an adventurer, perhaps, a Paladin. I can use a sword and shield. I'll show my father that I am more than just the sixth son to be sent to rot in some church."

"Let me come with you. By law, I am my father's property and I have stolen both that and his gold. He could come looking for me, if he pries himself from the gambling tables and his tankard, and force me back home. All my life, I have been largely ignored and enjoyed the freedom to wander the countryside learning about plants and animals. My cousin even gave me lessons with the pole and bow. I could help you and you could have your first noble cause." she dared him hopefully.

"Agreed." He felt a weight leave him and crumbled his letter of introduction, tossing it into the corner where the dog began to joyfully shred it. "It's done now. Let's go to the tavern and see what rumors or companions we can find to start us on our way."

As they were about to enter the tavern, the doors flew open and a small tow-headed pixies came flying out, unaided by the gossamar wings on her back. She rose from the dirt and shook her delicate fist at the tavernkeeper while hurling a stream of words that were anything but delicate in his direction. Disgruntled and outraged, two others followed her exit; fortunately, being allowed to use their own feet as a mode of exit.

"It's okay, Thornna. We don't need his information. He's an ignorant lout, anyway." The sweet-faced, brown-haired girl bent down to sooth her companion and stop the fist that was now waving in the motions of a burn spell. Her other companion, a gnome whose features could all be describe simply as brown, clung to the girl's sleeve nervously while she successfully grabbed the threatening fist. "Please, don't, Thornna. I heard that the townhall has a few jobs or bounties. We'll go there. Dingalthorner, please, let go of me and help me stop her."

"If I could create an illusion, I'd make the innkeeper look like a skunk. Wouldn't that be funny, Ravenna?" He suggested helpfully and hopefully, forgetting his fear of all the people surrounding them in a moment of inspiration.

"Perhaps, someday." She assured him gently, while wrestling with the irrate pixie. "But for now, would you go find Mussy? I believe she is in the armory and if she tries to pinch anything we might never find work."

"All she does is whiffle," Thornna accused with contempt, distracted for the moment, "She was supposed to be contributing to our supplies, not getting us thrown out of every town we enter."

"Patience, she'll improve and one day become a great Bard."

"Right, and I'll be Queen of Ale at that stinking tavern."

Lily and Alaric grinned at each other, knowing they had found some companions. They hailed the trio and they all moved off toward the armory. Explanations and plans were well underway as the group approached Smitty's Armory, when, for the second time that day, doors flew open and this time two animal figures rushed out to meet them. A small, fragile looking ratling female and few hundred plus pounds of Gourk plunged into their midst, followed by Smitty the dwarf calling, "She was trying to steal, Snargol, I know she was. You can't convince me no different. Don't come back until you have your guild money and are willing to prove you have some value as a warrior."

"Mussy," Ravenna's tone was both pleading and disappointed. They all stood back a bit as the Gourk's musky smell began radiate in the heat. "Thank you, friend."

At this moment, a strange desperate-looking man approached them and began to speak of a dream that would steer them down an exciting and dangerous path together.