Thread: Blood donation
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 01:49 PM   #38
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I remember in high school I went to donate blood and they said I didn't weigh enough. I probably still do not I reckon. What is the weight limit Aerich do you know?
Minimum weight is 50 kg (110 lbs).

If/when you do give blood, make sure to eat and drink prior to donating (about an hour earlier). The food increases your blood sugar level, meaning it's less likely that you will feel lightheaded/faint, and the (non-alcoholic!) drink will increase your blood volume with the same result.

They give you cookies and juice/tea/coffee afterward, to help with that as well.

I'll mention in passing that in the 15 times I've donated, I've only felt poorly afterward about 3 times. Each time was because I didn't have enough to eat/drink before donating. The trick is to eat and/or drink before, after, and every two waking hours or so for the next couple days. Athletic performance is slightly affected for 4-5 days, but normal activity is not.