View Single Post
Old 10-16-2000, 12:59 AM   #3
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi, thanks for responding. I understand your concerns, but Monks hopeless? Hey now, I'm a martial artist in real life, and though this is a game, its a simillar concept. In almost every RPG, monks and bare handed fighters are the hardest to develop, but once they obtain a high level of ability, they are second to none. Anyone remember the Monk in Bards Tale II?

This game is different I know, and to be honest, I have not made a monk yet. The thing I've noticed, having a high sword skill only increases your chances of striking a target, it DOES NOT increase the damage. So, you can have a sword skill of 1 or 12 and your long sword +1 still might only do 15 damage with a regular hit.

My ninja has a kung fu skill of 9, and I've seen her do 22 damage in one strike. Mind you, she's a vampire (dont get me started on that), and this is at night when she's more vicious. During the day she does 16 or so, but then she is weaker. I dont have second strike for her yet.

I'm working on getting her to have 12 gung fu and 12 second strike (EXPENSIVE), and then I'll post my findings here.

I think the bare handed fighters have potential, as my ninja is already a better fighter than my paladin, samurai and barbarian warriors, and most have a sword skill of 10 or higher. Also, now than I'm working on Death Strike, this negates the need for doing lots of damage, since the enemies just DIE!

Well, I like monks, and like real life, bare handed fighting takes a lot of work, but so does fencing and the like. But once mastered, you're a force to be reckoned with.

Then again, one master told me:

"If you want to kill people, dont learn kung fu, buy a gun."

Scronan