View Single Post
Old 07-25-2002, 05:17 PM   #10
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair:
Yes but the stories themselves aren't accurate. THe BG books don't have problems concerning wther it uses D&D rules or not, it's the fact that the story doesn't go with that of the game.

SOme game rules go well for story writing anyways. MOre magic missiles is explained as a spellcaster who has had more experience casting the sppell and thus can cast a stronger version of it. ANd the spells being wiped from the mind, well the unlimited rule would be making the character in the story too powerfull, but having the spells as energy or something that is expended makes sense.
The energy thing is basically what I'm getting at. It makes more sense for someone to lose energy than to just plain forget something.

I'm not going to believe that a wizard who has been working magic for over twenty years forgets the magic missile spell after he's used it a maximum of twenty times. Quite the opposite, I believe he'll remember the spell for the rest of his days.

Just like I'll believe an apprentice will. Granted, if he forgets the words at a certain moment, I'll expect him to remember again once he looks up the spell. It's just like any cook who forgets part of a recipe he's learned, he'll go look it up.

But anyway, I can understand about the book going against some of the innate stuff in the game. For instance, I'd be a little peeved if I found out they made Jaheira a weak person instead of a strong person.

Other than that, I can't see how people can be upset about Imoen's gayness unless they have some religious thing about it, considering the game itself never really mentions anything about her being gay or straight, therefore it's not going against the game.

I also wouldn't be able to understand why people would be against Abdel being evil, mainly because it goes with the game. In BG, you can choose to be evil, or good.

Other than all of that jazz, everything else I can understand. It's like when I played Indiana Jones and it turned out nothing like the movie it was made from. (The third one I believed)

You can even keep Nora from taking the grail!
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote