View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #45
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Ground Zero mosque

As pointed out earlier, the word "Islam" means "submission", not peace. I suppose it does cognate (share etymological origins) with "shalom", but that doesn't mean they have the same meaning. In English, the words "shirt" and "skirt" also cognate.

As for Cordoba, Spain (the admitted inspiration for the "Cordoba House"), it is represents the site of a major Muslim victory over the natives and their established religion. The Muslims did NOT promote coexistence there, they destroyed the Cordoba existing temple and built a mosque on top of the ruins. I suppose that is the "cultural enrichment" Rauf is referring to that the Muslims brought to the area.

It was argued on Oasis that the name was chosen specifically because it represents a great Muslim victory and the new "cultural center" will be viewed the same - as a major Muslim victory over the infidels in America. That argument was pooh-poohed by some, but now Rauf is openly admitting the project was specifically named for of "great Muslim cultural enrichment".

Does this mean the [s]mosque[/s] "cultural center" will be a training ground and staging area for terrorists? I seriously doubt it, but there is no doubt it IS being pursued as a defiance to those who object and in the hopes of showing that Islam can achieve another major "victory" and there is nothing the natives can do about it. That tends to undermine their supposed promotion of peace, love and understanding among faiths.