View Single Post
Old 03-27-2003, 10:27 PM   #77
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
However, the only studies of which I am aware of link asbestosis to only a particular type of asbestos, primarily obtained from Africa. The types of asbestos that come from Canada, for instance, the type that Manville used, appear to have no adverse health effects, or at the very least were very overstated.
Don't take this the wrong way, but this is total BS. According to the NYSDOH report on the enviromental hazard of asbestos, exposute to asbestos will cause problems. It doesnt matter if its chrysotile, amosite, crocidolite, tremolite, anthophyllite or actinolite, (I belive thats all the forms) its not good stuff.

Quote:
Actually, all asbestos can cause these problems. Asbestos is a geometric crystal fiber shape, not a chemical compound. IIRC, Any substance fiber that is less than 2 microns wide and whose length is 10 times its width or more is "asbestiform."
First, all asbestos can cause problems, but they are all not equal in how bad they are. Second, An "asbestiform" and asbestos are not the same thing. Asbestos is specificly a hydrated mineral silicate, an "asbestiform" is a much broader catagory.

IIRC an "asbestiform" has to be 3 microns in width, not 2. But I may be recalling "3" from the 0.3 micron standard for HEPA filters, so you may be right.

Quote:
Timber Loftis, I am going to have to let the asbestos question slide. I am just not certain where I read that the variation of asbestos in Canada was not a health issue. I'll see if I can find it if you would be interested in reading it...
Timber Loftis is basicly (there may be minor errors I missed somewhere) correct when it comes to asbestos. It is very nasty stuff, there have even been documented cases of workers famlies getting ill due to the asbestos that workers brought home with them. New York even had a case where, some belive, a kid got mesothelioma from watching is father change a set of asbestos containing breaks.

[ 03-27-2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Seraph ]