View Single Post
Old 03-27-2003, 04:51 PM   #72
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorfinn:
But Grojlach, the point is that the First Amendment is a restriction on government, not a grant to say anything you like. You always could say anything you like, but the intent of 1st A was to prevent government from punishing you for so doing. "Congress shall make no law, etc." The First Amendment in no way obligates any person or company to provide a forum for you to express your opinion. Just as no Jehovah's Witness can barge into your home at dinnertime and lecture you and claim it as his First Amendment rights, the mall is not obligated to allow Mr. Downs to express his opinion on their grounds, either.
If you go back to the first pages of this thread, you'll find I and other pointed that out about the First Amendment. Generally, while you have the right to say whatever you want, you don't have the right to make me listen, nor do you have the right to do it on my private property, and the government (I know - not at issue here) can reasonably limit the time, place, and manner of your speech.

Quote:
I am definitely not hot under the collar -- I was actually hoping that maybe, just maybe, I would be able to show at least a few people......
Without getting into specifics, I'll say I stopped my quotation here because it is nearly impossible to show people things. While many of us are here trying to educate our fellow man, those on the other side of the issue feel the same way. I have learned from folks on IWF, and I think I have changed minds on IWF, but these changes come very slowly, with patience and constant repitition of the lessons. Old dogs are not quick studies, you see, and all of our prejudicial inclinations we've developed over out lifetimes make us extremely loggerheaded, even in the face of prevailing arguments. But, I wish you good luck nonetheless.