View Single Post
Old 09-14-2001, 03:04 PM   #32
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Yes, perhaps he might have been getting that idea from that mini-rant. Too bad it happens to be full of half-truths and misinformation, like the idea that Americans are never helped by other countries. Hell, without massive aid from France in the Revolutionary War, America would never even have succeeded in becoming an independent country in the first place. We owe our very existence as a country to foreign aid.

A debt of honor to General Lafayette. Hmm, haven't thought about that in a while Diogenes. Curse of the modern world, there: forgetting our history in the face of the daily hurly-burly.
One thing seems to be generally missed in this thread; "From each according to their abilities to each according to their needs" In most cases, America is better able to offer assistance and rarely in need of it. We have had many offers of aid in the current crisis which some of my countrymen would apparently rather ignore in order to further their point. Just what their point IS, I have no idea, but I hope it is made soon and to their satisfaction so that we may be able to move beyond yet another source of division in this time of trouble.