View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #22
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Default Re: First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Is it that they're just fps kiddies trying to mow everything down? You know, no pausing, taking care of their "main" char only and expecting the rest to happen on its own. I mean, anyone who has played BG to NWN to PS:T knows the value of pausing and queueing up actions. How in the hell are these people "wiping almost every fight" on normal mode?
I just played a part of the game and... you just touched something that really bothers me with this game. The AI sucks badly. They do chaotic stuff in combat, and no matter what you do, setting up their tactics (only 2 slots without feats? BAD!) or behaviour or queueing up orders, they never seem to be doing what you want. I want them to attack something? They do but suddenly stop doing that and don't bother attacking anything else. I want them to auto-attack something else? They chase it and get seperated and die. I click another character to queue up actions? The one I just had controlled suddenly loses all coherence and starts doing its AI routine, which as I just mentioned is stupid. I wish this game had AI disabling just like BG or NWN2. At least then the chaotic real time engine would be a bit controllable.

Other things that I noticed:
-game engine is well optimized and runs like a charm. No overdone bloom, no disgusting use of HDR, but it just looks good, especially in tactical camera mode.
-writing is okay (not great), plot is generic fantasy boring, voice acting is atrocious so far with disjointed lines that feel really artificial and the characters are flat and give no reason to care for them. Especially the dying family member scene in the noble start... I just wanted him to die and get over with the silly drama for characters I don't care about.
-inventory works cool with 'shared pool' of stuff.
-I'll mention it again: all semblance of tactics go out the window with this chaotic engine with really crummy AI. It is WORSE than NWN2.

And another thing: I'm playing a rogue. How do you backstab/flank attack whatever? I'm always seeing the same amounts of damage regardless of flanking, stealth etc. The manual wasn't very helpful.
EDIT: so my char is showing the proper backstab animation when I'm flanking (you gotta be at the black part of the target circle) but it hardly does any more damage than normal. Is that because I'm using daggers?

Last edited by JrKASperov; 11-06-2009 at 01:06 PM.
JrKASperov is offline   Reply With Quote