View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by VulcanRider:
quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
But then, if you will never find out there's a program on your PC transmitting your surfing habits, does it matter if it is? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
If your machine gets loaded up with spyware, to the point it affects the performance -- your machine runs like a dog, surfing the net takes forever -- would it matter to you? [/QUOTE]That's exactly what did happen to friends of mine. Their son surfs game sites and they didn't even have a virus protection program or firewall on their machine! It slowed up so badly that she finally called me and my husband (who put her machine together) to ask for help. When we got up to visit them we found tons of viruses on the thing and it took hours to clean it up.

We then had them put Antivirus software on, a firewall program and Spybot and Adaware.....but again, a few months later it's at the point where they can't even USE the computer it is so full of that junk! They just aren't savvy on this subject and even though we've tried to show them how to prevent alot of the junk from getting on their pc, it doesn't seem to be working... I think our next step is to preset times for the protection programs to run and hopefully keep some of it out.