View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well I've only played about an hour but have to say im 50/50. The functionality and intention is there but the game still feels a bit clunky.

Some thoughts...

Interface and UI art is really nice. Character creation was a pleasure and it was so good to see something that wasn't those horrible square black buttons in NWN's 1. Windows have nice silver and gold borders plus a bit of that sylvan arty stuff we saw in Baldurs Gate 2.

The actual graphics are nice if not a little odd. It looks kinda like Guild Wars graphics. Doesn't quite fit D&D and i'm not sure why. I don't really like the avatars..

In-game interface is annoying and looks unfinished. It is cluttered and I think many windows can't be moved...When will develepors learn that in order to get an immediate "thumbs-up" in interface-design, they need to make everything customizable and re-sizable? It's a simple formula. I found myself missing the arty borders and windows in character creation when I looked at the in-game UI. The dialogue window is just an ugly little black popup with some text in it that appears on the side of your screen. I am all for space-saving but make what we look at 50% of the time pleasing to the eyes.

Controls are frustrating right now and the camera is annoying. I need to be fair and say I am used to WoW for the last 2 years and haven't played NWN's in a long time so it could just be me and my trouble adjusting to a new engine. Many of you who never stopped playing may easily make the transition.

The story seems interesting and the dialogue options are all there. They took up the Bioware tradition and the third option is usually a funny insult you can hurl at an NPC. Love that.

There are many little things they kept in from NWN's 1 that it almost feels like NWN's 1.5. The sounds of characters and NPC's, chests and doors, spells being cast are all familiar. The spell animations too. Some of the animal avatars are just reskins from the old NWN's. Obviously they added some new stuff too but it seems like much of their work was already done for them, leaving me to wonder why they didn't finish the UI.

All in all I will wait and see, but I think it needs some work atm.