Thread: Guns.
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2002, 09:41 AM   #141
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Singapore is a very safe, clean and wonderful city, but the residents are paying a pretty hefty fee in the lack of freedoms and government oversight of their lives not to mention the cameras that seem ubiquitous. There was a really interesting documentary on the Learning channel awhile ago about the place. I think it was when that american kid was sentenced to being caned.
"A hefty fee" is a load of tripe MagiK. Try living there for four months and then say that. I'm from the "free" west, and am a "freedom needing" artist, yet never once felt a lack of freedom.

Lift cameras in New York City feel more invasive than any Singaporean cameras.

Additionally, what's wrong with the caning? When in Rome, do as the Romans do. The law there is "don't graffiti or you get caned". The idiot graffitied. What was going to happen? Special treatment? Exemption for the American rich kid?

What about the Asian that comes to America? You expect him/her to obey your road rules don't you? Don't you scream abuse if they are not up to standard?

When in Rome....

Singapore is without doubt the safest city I have visited. It doesn't have the drug problems Australia for example has, doesn't have the "blackened gum pollution" New York streets have (nor gum sabotaged railways) and has no graffiti.

Considering it was them against the world when they got kicked out of Malaysia, I think Singapore have done exceptionally well for themselves, and have a right to decide what they value in their society and what they don't.

[ 05-23-2002, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com