View Single Post
Old 11-21-2002, 07:49 AM   #124
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
I've uploaded a few...I'll find some more of the impressive ones.
Those are some exquisitely gnarly photos there Vask.
Which Alps were they taken in exactly? And how long did your trip take? If the views are that good I'd like to go there myself some day. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]We did the Tour de Mont Blanc which is a popular hiking route around Mont Blanc. It's supposed to take between 8 (very fast) and 14 (very slow) days. We did it in 11 days with half a rest day so about average speed. The tour is exactly on the border of France, Switzerland and Italy and takes you into all three countries. The easiest way to get there internationally is to take a flight to Geneva then take a train to Chamonix from where you can take a bus to Les Houches and start hiking. (get a map first though! ) If people want I can post a few more pics. And yes the views are absolutely stunning and you can't do justice to them with a flat photo, you have to go there yourself.
Some of the crazy bastards who I went with want to actually go to the peak of Mont Blanc next summer....they're not montaineers but supposedly you can actually walk up to the peak on one face of the mountain at least. Although 60 people a year die on Mont Blanc, I don't fancy my chances Nah, seriously, I might go, it would be amazing to go to the peak of the highest mountain in Europe and without any mountaineering training....heh I spoke to one guy who did it in trainers! Although he did have crampons and also an ice-axe is recommmended. Of course my mum doesn't want me to go, but going to the peak of Mont Blanc is very tempting. There's a cabin at around 3800m where you sleep and then go up to the peak at over 4500m and come back down quickly before it gets dark!!!
Sorry, rambling on a bit, tell me to shut up if I get boring

[ 11-21-2002, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray