View Single Post
Old 09-10-2003, 03:58 PM   #54
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
FYI...I learned long ago to not waste money in buying tapes or CDs because the "1" song that I liked from a particular group would be the "1" song I'd listen to, after paying an enormous price...and then in a month, I was tired of that song because there was a better one out from another group.
As I've stated in other topics before audio piracy is not only soaring because it's free but because it's MORE CONVENIENT than legal purchase. If I wanted I could get almost any song, even if I don't know it's name properly, from my home in a heartbeat the illegal way.
The legal way I'd have to:
+ Find a record stor with a qualified storekeep like Chewie who can tell me which song I'm actually looking for
+ Buy a "Best of Album" because it's an old song no longer available as a single
+ Wait for the album to be ordered because they of course do NOT have this particular album in store

This happened to me with the commonly known "Born to be Wild" from Steppenwolf. The only store where I could order their BestOf for 20$ was Virgin (guess music infrastructure is sucky in Austria [img]smile.gif[/img] )
now if I had just downloaded it (which I did not want to mainly because I had no burner back then and wanted to listen to it on my Discman - I'm not THAT honest ) it would have taken me a 30sec google search to find out that "fire all of your guns at one time" is from this song and another 2mins of Napster to download it.
Unless record companies make their methods of distribution more convenient and flexible a lot of people will keep using P2P.