View Single Post
Old 09-13-2001, 06:22 PM   #27
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Milamber, your pineapple image is just hysterical! Made me laugh a lot.

Re 250s post, sure. Not interested in fighting! Just adding my mite, is all.....

The sight of the towers coming down distressed me greatly, - my friend and I cried and cried, and we are outsiders. I can only imagine how it must feel to you who are there.

But I think it would be wrong to suspend rational analysis and discussion, which includes looking at cause and effect.

Communication and analysis of our different points of view is what helps us to understand each other, and bring us closer together. It also gives us a better chance of getting a peek at that elusive creature we sometimes call truth.

My apologies if I have offended or upset anyone, - it was not my intention (but then, it never is...... )

It shows that you are a writer. Very well said. I agree wholeheartedly that rational discussion and analysis are critical to us all resolving our feelings on this matter. Indeed, cause and effect are a part of rational analysis. Right now though, I would argue that effect is more important then cause. I think that everybody views the terrorist actions as wrong(excepting the terrorists and their supporters). That being the case, the cause cannot alter the wrongness of their actions whatsoever. All it can do is shed light on the motivation that spurred the slaughter. It can do nothing to repair the damage done. I honestly wasn't aware that the U.S funded bin Laden during the cold war, and if that is the case, we certainly played a role in our own tragedy. I guess at least for myself and maybe some other Americans on the board as well, I'm so locked into the effect right now that the cause can't do anything to console me yet. Knowing why or how does nothing to bring the countless thousands back to us. That said, there's still no excuse for being unobjective, but objectivity usually doesn't do much to heal emotional wounds.

One of the biggest reasons I love this forum is for the opportunity to speak with people from around the globe and get their opinions on things and try and understand their cultures. This is no different. Honestly I have probably heard more Americans saying similar things to what you just did SC then I have from anywhere else. I think that says a lot. While we all might disagree on the importance of why these things happened, I think we can all agree that they were tragic. As long as we are all in agreement there, then we're all on the same team.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB