View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 01:05 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hi. Welcome to Ironworks!

I have read over your post three times...and I think I understand what you are asking. The 3rd edition rules should have no bearing on whether or not you can pass an obsticle. I have not yet got as far as chapter 4 yet, so I will not be of any help to you there, but there are people on the forums that do know how to get past those sticky areas. Give them time to log on tonight after work and they will be able to tell you, but you will need to post again, and explain where you are in chapter four...or what particular spot has you troubled.

Now, your question about 3rd Edition. Again, it appears that you are asking what 3rd edition is. Right? 3rd Ed is a game rule set. Hmm....Like...In the previous two rule sets...a wizard could not carry a long-sword. A barbarian-fighter could not learn mage spells. Third edition says that they can. Why not allow a mage to carry a long-sword and use it proficiently? Maybe if he spent time practicing...he could! Who says that a red dragon could not be vegetarian? That is the sort of thing 3rd Ed does for you. It lifts some bans that were previously in place...to allow the player more freedom. Tables are calculated differently, like how much damage a person receives with this or that item in place...or ...how quiet a thief is when wearing metallic armor. Those things were different in previous editions. That's what 3rd Ed. is. A set of restrictions and allowances.

I am sure somebody else could do a better job at explaining it than I can. I usualy do not care what rules I am playing with, so I have never paid attention to what's going on. I just play.