Thread: Gaynecticut
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 01:02 AM   #75
Chewbacca
Zartan

The Declaration of Independence is perfectly stated for my non-theistic beleifs.
Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
The first bit is plainly non-theistic to me. The Creator refered to is #1. self-evident. #2 is my own. #3 Endowse me with some excellent and thoughtworthy rights. It could be my own self-image or pure imagination and still qualify.

The rest has nothing to do with, implied or otherwise, theism. Government is made by individuals- citizens the people and ruled by the governed- citizens the people. When government becomes destructive- and particularly limits the rights mentioned, than the people have right to alter, chnage and even abolish government to meet the demands of everyone's Self-evident rights. Government is changeable, that is our system.

Spells out to me why so much has changed since the Nation's inception and why more chnage is ahead- because laws were deemed bad. Then changed or abolished and the result- individuals and society were made healthier, freer and able to pursue more happiness.

I think the Declaration of Independence shows an ultimate statement of rational moral equality and superiority. A model of why leglislating "morality" isn't a bad thing.

Expanding freedom, securing equality, and creating space for the doors of opportunity to open are the superior morals. Which side is on this side? That should be the measuring stick for this debate.
Clearly The wrong side wants to limit opportunity and support legal inequality.

[ 04-29-2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]