View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Soothsayer, I think selecting a triple class character makes you more of a powergamer than a single classed character, depending at how you look at it. IMHO, a FMT (at very high levels) can do much more than a single classed version of any of those classes.

I don't have much experience with this game (I'm a chronic restarter anyway, and I'm still feeling this game out on top of that), but what I have noticed is that a single classed mage sucks. I have played with one, and always had open spell slots because I couldn't find spells fast enough to fill my high level slots.

I've played a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist, and still had open slots.

My experiement with a FMT is a result of these experiences. Both the Mage and Thief classes reach a point where they're really not that useful. A Thief is useless for me after reaching 100 in Traps and Locks (I'm not into stealth, and have a Bard for picking pockets), a Mage has slots he can't even use yet (and the Bard has open slots as well, if I do find the right scrolls, my Bard is more than enough of a spellcaster). The Fighter part is added in to both nerf the abilities of the other two classes (making them more useful, longer), and also makes her useful as an archer, with ** in Bows.

If you couldn't tell, I've never been a big fan of Thieves or Mages, but view them as a "necessary evil." If you're familiar with Baldur's Gate II, I used Imoen as an archer more than I ever cast spells or did thiefy things. A FMT allows me to have a backrow archer, and a pretty good one at that, while handling my Mage and Thief duties along with my Bard.