View Single Post
Old 09-07-2001, 11:35 PM   #8
Tim Tam
Dungeon Master

Ive never understood why people use their mages to dispel magic. Dispel Magic and Remove Magic are level based and I dont think are capped at level 20 like other level dependant spells. A bard will always be higher level then a mage, so their dispelling will also be better. If I dont have an Inquisitor, its always the bard or cleric who does the dispelling, at a higher level than the mage.

For other level dependant spells its right that mages eventually catch up when they hit level 20, but bards get there a lot faster and can take advantage of the extras sooner (more flame arrows, more damage from fireball/skull trap, better stoneskin and longer lasting spell effects). While it would be nice to be able to cast level 7+ spells, its not neccesary for a bard as some of the most useful are level 6 and below. A useful tactic is wearing Aslyferund Chain Mail and casting Prot. Magic Weapons, full physical immunity for 4 rounds.

Im playing IWD-HoW again now with a bard in the lead. The different bard songs rock although I find thats pretty much all my bard does now, apart from an occasional fireball or utility spell. Interesting that bards can cast up to level 8 in HoW, not that the spells are as useful as in BG2.

In BG2-ToB however all the bard songs eventually end up the same with enhanced bard song ability, so the con for Blades crappy singing winds up negated. A Jesters song becomes useful about the same time no more critters are being affected by his confuse/stun/slow chant, and Skalds just gets better. For plain old BG2 though you'd be mad to just have a Blade, the other bard kits are better and Haer Daelis is available (crappy stats and all).