View Single Post
Old 09-13-2001, 08:04 AM   #47
Moni

Quote:
Moni, it is late and I am tired. Otherwise, I would answer you at much greater length.

Are you rested yet? j/k, you don't have to answer me at all if you don't feel like it.

Quote:
For now I will just say that in all the examples you named, there were reasons of national self-interest behind each.

If you are willing to prove that without using speculation, I will be willing to learn something from you.

Quote:
The US does not typically do anything at all on the international scene, unless it is in the national interest, the same as other countries. That is the historical and political reality.

Again, if you are willing to prove this without using speculation, I will be willing to learn something from you.

Quote:
The actions of the Red Cross and other private organizations clearly are not the same as actions of the US government. The government cannot take credit for such.

No kidding! Did I say or even imply that The Red Cross was a military based organization? I said it was an American based organization (originated in America).
This thread does not confine itself to a strictly military standpoint on how important the rest of the world is to American citizens and my post was not meant to be perceived as one.

Quote:
One major exception, a rare case where the US gov't and military intervened for truly noble reasons, was Kosovo. As it turns out, President Clinton and his government received tremendous criticism from other Americans for doing so. Apparently, the idea of risking US lives for purely noble objectives for once was quite objectionable to many Americans.

I do not personally know anyone in America who was so upset that the Americans would go into Kosovo and help people being murdered there who could not help themselves that they would demand our withdrawal from that country during that period of time!
I saw more praise than reprehension for our country's actions to save innocent people from ethnic cleansing.

If legitimate statistics prove me wrong than the majority of Americans who don't care must come from some other part of this country, some part I have never been exposed to nor would I want to be.
I saw more rallying support for the safety of those people than I saw any "whining" that our boys went in to help them.

I have an acquaintance from Kosovo who is married to a former Army Sgt that she met there when he was on assignment to act as a reporter during that conflict and neither one of them speak of ill feelings from any direction for what America did to help.

Please, if you have legitimate stastics, feel free to prove me wrong.

If those who criticized Clinton's decision to go in and help those people were Republican politicians, I can see where you could perceive your information as being factual but what can you prove from a viewpoint of the actual American people as to how wrong it was to let that atrocity continue based merely on the claim that our men's lives were more important than the lives of innocent men, women and children being slaughtered in Kosovo?

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!