View Single Post
Old 11-16-2000, 11:57 AM   #21
Archimedes
Welcomed New User

Planescape: Torment and Deus Ex are very good recommendations. Planescape: Torment is good for very deep roleplaying stuff. You have a lot of dialog (more important than the combats). It was extremely well done.

Deus Ex is basically an FPS, but a very well designed one with lots of different strategies. The story is fun, too.

There are really three elder scrolls games plau a bunch of spin-offs. The first one was called The Elder Scrolls: Arena. That was a saving the world type game. Lots of character choices. Some very hard riddles. It would be considered very primitive graphics nowadays. The second one was The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall. That ones about saving a country/province called Daggerfall. Even more chatracter choices than Arena. The plot, in Daggerfall, wasn't always as clear as in Arena, but there was a central plot, and there was a way to complete the game and "win". The game was very buggy when first released and, basically, unplayable. Later patches corrected this, but even after everything there are still a lot of bugs. Very primitive graphics. Good plotline that you don't have to follow. The third in the series will be The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. It isn't out yet. I'm looking forward to it.

Phantasy was a trilogy of games (Phantasy I, Phantasy II and Phantasy III) which ran on the Apple II series computers and the Amiga (I think). They were a lot of fun in the mid-late 80's, but it is unlikely you have a platform that can run them anymore. It is also unlikely you can find them in a store.

If you like the Baldur's Gate games and dungeon crawls you might want to purchase Icewind dale. It uses the same engine, but most of the game takes place in dungeons of various types.

Good luck.