View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

If lock picking is your main reason for taking along a henchman, then consider using the knock spell. True, you would have to give up spell slots that you could use for something else, like acid arrow, but then if you waited until after you had cleared out the level, you could just fill all your 2nd level spell slots with knock and open the chests at once. I prefer to solo so that I don't share the experience points.

I prefer unlocking to bashing since I like to save and re-try on the boss chests to get a better treasure. I also read in a post somewhere that there may be some difference in the treasure reward in an opened vs a bashed chest. More and/or better for the opened chest, though I don't really have any evidence or experience to back that up. Threw that tidbit in to see if anyone has actually noticed anything like that.

Minor spoiler,,,,

In HOTU, you will eventually get access to a genie lamp and the genie's magic item store. There is a chime of opening with 50 charges of knock that is very useful for opening any door or chest that is susceptable to knock or lock picking.
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote