View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

My god, is there one intelligent person in Sony's management team?

Quote:
Phil Harrison claims Nintendo "started it" back in 1996 when they used real time 3D graphics after Sony had already done so. Sony, claims Mr. Harrison, have not copied Nintendo's motion-sensing but have simply decided to implement it at this particular point in time.

Nintendo and Sony have already started their private little war over motion-sensing technology and controllers. This time Sony's Phil Harrison has responded to recent comments by Nintendo UK's boss David Yarnton who recently used tough words, claiming that Sony ...didn't innovate, they copied.

SCEE boss Phil Harrison wanted to nip such arrogance in the bud and set the record straight by stating: In a way I understand why people say [we stole Nintendo's idea], but it is a little stupid, if you forgive the remark. So he understands stupidity and we can now move on to the arguments.

When we brought the PlayStation to the market in 1994, we introduced real time 3-D graphics for the first time. When Nintendo launched its N64 in 1996 it also had 3D graphics, did we say, 'Nintendo stole our idea!'? Obviously not. Such innovations become possible because of a combination of technology, cost and manufacture capacities. So it is obvious that Nintendo started it.

We've been working on (motion-sensing technology) for a long time and Nintendo has certainly likewise already been working on something similar. The difference between our strategy and that of our competition is that our controller is still similar to the Dual Shock, the industry standard controller. I estimate that nearly 400 million Dual Shock controllers have been sold worldwide.

So there you have it, the myth that Sony copied Nintendo finally refuted.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote