Thread: CSS
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 10:21 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

There are so many ways to go... it's almost ridiculous.

First off, are you a programmer-type? If so, then consider CSS to be equivalent to a set of includes or subroutines (leastways, that's how I understand and have used them). If not, then consider them to be a way to store things that you use repetitively (like defining backgrounds, fonts, and so on) so that you can have it in one place and use it in multiple places. True CSS programmers may disagree, and I welcome it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Second, there are two ways to address problems like your menuing. Do you want to decide on the tool, then fit the job to the tool? Or do you want to decide on the job, and then find the tool for the job?

The reason I say this is that I've used static pages, dynamic pages, frame sets, and more in my web development, and I've found (so far) that Javascript is the easiest tool for menus. Why? Because someone has already written JS scripts for it that you can get for free, so you can just copy and tweak.

Downside is browser compatibility. Not all browsers support JS, nor do they all support dynamic HTML, nor Front Page extensions, nor any other cool things you can come across. If you have to work with multiple browsers, you end up being limited.

All that being said, I'd pick up a quick primer on CSS (a Sam's book, or a Dummies book, or an O'Reilly book, or something similar). Get your local (online) bookstore, or check it out at the library.

Use that, start at the beginning, and work the examples. Use your own project in the examples and you can save some time, but remember to start small.

Once you're there, you can decide whether to fit the tool to the job or the job to the tool.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.