View Single Post
Old 01-22-2003, 01:25 AM   #43
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
quote:
King James version of the bible
This is another pet peev of mine with religion. Why are there 10 diffrent versions of the bible?? What ever happened to this is gods word?? Where is the "Hey this is God,so pay attention" version of the bible? 10 diffrent versions cant all be right,especialy since I have seen discusions on this board about which version is more correct. If there is a more correct version that means that there are versions that are utter shite floating around as well. Same thing goes for the other religions. Any book store has half a dozen versions of every core religous text. How can 6 diffrent versions of the qu'ran all be right?? If the followers cant all agree on what the word of god is or isnt how can the rest of us even consider it. It might not do any harm to believe in god, but what happens if the book you have has the wrong directions in it?[/QUOTE]They're not versions, they're TRANSLATIONS. "More correct" means "most accurate translation" as regarded by the majority of scholars worldwide. The Bible was written in Hebrew, Koine Greek and Aramaic. What are people supposed to do? Learn those three languages to read Gods word?

As language changes, so new translations become necessary. We don't speak "old English" of King James time, so a new translation is necessary. Various translations are attempted by different groups, which is why there are so many. Ultimately, the original languages convey the truest word, and so many Christian ministers do actually learn those languages - my father being one such person.

Islam's Qu'ran (written in Arabic) has various English translations by individuals rather than groups floating around, but then the Qu'ran is considerably smaller than the Bible.

[ 01-22-2003, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com