View Single Post
Old 11-10-2001, 11:43 AM   #25
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by frudi_x:
Dundee...
firs off - I was talking about Ring of Improved Invisibility, not casting it from a scroll

Fair enough, note though that I can still cast Dispel/Remove Magic. Worse to worst, I use Chain Contingency to hit you instead, with 3 Lower Resistances( can target IV targets, provided they reveal themselves).

second - even if you use Mislead to prevent using Protection from Magic scroll on you, the monk can still use it on himself. what's a mage to do then?

I covered this in my first post.
If Monk used Protection from Magic scroll, then just stay invisible for 10 turns( 10 minutes), just remember to recast PfMW when the time runs out.

third - the Mislead will die after about three hits, that means the monk will kill it before you realise what happened, specially if the monk used GW. after that he just gulps down another potion of invisibility and you're left in the dark again. after that YOU CAN target the mage with the scroll, even though the mage is under Improved Invisibility.

How do you target me? When I cast Mislead, I gain invisibility, the death of the illusion will not remove the invisibility until I make a hostile move. Note also that I can drink a Potion of Invisibility too anyway. Which is why such potions tend to make the fight into a stalemate.

fourth - if we're talking about dueling, then a planetar isn't going to help you find an invisible monk, since the monk isn't the enemy [img]smile.gif[/img]

The game is flawed when it comes to PvP, because party members cannot be hostile, but if they can, rest assured that the Planetar can target the Monk. You cannot say the Planetar cannot target the Monk, because that is the limitation of the game, I am working under the assumption that the Monk is hostile.

I was gonna mention the Inquisitor, but then remembered this is supposed to be a monk debate otherwise it would be the obvious choice to go up against any spellcaster. double-level Dispel Magic, True Sight and Carsomyr are more than any mage can handle [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ay, the Inquisitor would be a pain in the a** for any Sorcerer/Mage. When DM of FAoIW started mentioning Barbs/Fighters/Paladins, I started to cover more ground and assumed that they were in the equation as well now.

Once again, a disclaimer.

By no means are Sorcerers/Mages the end-all, be-all class when it comes to power, but frankly, IMHO, a Sorcerer/Mage has a better chance to defeat an Inquisitor than a Monk against a Sorcerer/Mage.