View Single Post
Old 01-03-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:

No offence to you John but this "list" has been around for a while and some of it, while fun, is just pure bull

1. The first German serviceman killed in WW2 was killed by the Japanese (China, 1937)

Thought the WW2 started in 39, if not does the spanish cival war count? A lot of german officers had training and observational roles and the first recorded deaths where in 36, i quote ...

" On 27th July, 1936, Adolf Hitler sent the the Nationalists 26 German fighter aircraft. He also sent 30 Junkers 52s from Berlin and Stuttgart to Morocco. Over the next couple of weeks the aircraft transported over 15,000 troops to Spain. The fighter aircraft soon went into action and the Germans suffered their first losses when airmen Helmut Schulze and Herbert Zeck were killed on 15th August."

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/SPgermany.htm

8. German Me-264 bombers were capable of bombing New York City but it wasn't worth the effort. (?)
I have very serious doubts about this one. At best it may have been a one way flight, and the fact that it was only ever a pencil on paper idea that never got into production. Maybe this was mistaken for the Junkers Ju 390 which on a test flight came within 20 miles of the USA coast. The V2 rocket was built with the hope of reaching New york though IIRC.

9. German submarine U-120 was sunk by a malfunctioning toilet.

Not if you are talking u120 of the first world war built 1918 and broken up in 1919 or the u120 of wwII built in 1940 and scuttled just before the end of wwII [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years