View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 11:10 AM   #50
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:

Two, let me jump beyond the "should it be allowed" discussion of OPEN gays in the military (I'll note my earlier post explains why I think we should not). (Also note that in-closet gays are allowed.) Assuming open gays are allowed, tell me how to make it practical. Housing and showers for instance - which are communal. Now, must I really shower with someone who lets me know he's gay? Isn't that akin to making me shower with a woman or vice versa - as the "uncomfortableness" of sharing a shower is not based on gender, but on unwanted sexual desires or overtures. If you allow open gays, how do you NOT force yourself into a separate housing situation? Elsewise, why not treat all men & women that same: communal bunks and showers for all (like in Starship Troopers).

Assuming it's philosophically mandated, I still think it is simply to impractical.
Why impractical? My workout partner is gay and we shower together at the gym 2-4 times a week. Big whoop. Are you afraid they are going to go around raping all the hetro guys in the shower or what? And again, why the need for seperate housing? I feel your just creating issues were none really exist.[/QUOTE]Would you feel as comfortable showering with your workout partner if it was a woman? I think that's what was being said- that it's the 'sexual' tension or possibilities thereof that are the reason for separate accomodations.