View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 11:43 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

...is "Only" by TOMMY EMMANUEL. I bought it on iTunes the other day, after going to see Tommy play in NYC to a packed house of musicians on 42nd St.

He is inarguably the best known guitarist in the world in the Chet Atkins finger picking style. They even did an album together Chet and Tommy.

He's an Aussie. 50 odd years old. Been playing since he was 4. 46 years or so playing guitar in public. The guy is quite simply a freak. Never heard a player like him.

I saw him once, 16 years ago when he played at my school. A few years later he had a hit record, and he played at a huge Christian music festival I was playing at.

He tours America seemingly endlessly, playing solo one man shows. No band. Just a freak on guitar who plays the basslines, chords and melodies on the one guitar. Oh yeah, and if he was just a percussionist, he'd be the best percussionist I've heard. He performed a percussion piece on his guitar that was simply mind boggling.

It was amazing to hear him again, with so much time passed, with the ears I now have. I hear so much more now than I did then. Actually he commented on that process during the show. He actually taught us all near the end of the night. Broke down what he does, gave tips and hints. Unbelievable night in all. Such a genius with so much generosity of spirit. Passing on what he knows, and what he does. Incredible.

If you have $10 get "Only" off iTunes. It's really really good on a compostitional level, let alone the playing. I cannot exclaim much more.

[ 06-14-2004, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com