View Single Post
Old 11-15-2002, 05:31 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sexual orientation is not a federally protected class characteristic here, whereas religion, skin color, and disabilities are. Some states protect it, like AK, VT, HI. But, the fed in fact *prohibits* the recognition of sexual orientation as a protected class, otherwise there would be better federal (ERISA) benefits for gay folks in VT than in KY.

That said, Don't Ask Don't Tell (DADT) is the best means to deal with homosexuality in the army. Now, I have worked on this issue in state legislature, in fact on VT's Civil Union (permitting gay "marriage"), and I am proud to have done so. I think full benefits regardless of sex is an absolutely fagulous idea.

But, in the military things are different - and the military can kick you out for flat feet, poor eyesight (pilots), obessity, and lots of other things. Therefore, DADT is the best solution.

I may enjoy having a blow-up Mary Lou Retton doll at home, but I feel no compunction to tell anyone about it - even when pressed on the issue. The military translator jobs are great, respected, professional jobs. I feel the same way I do about a gay friend who "outed" himself at one of Chicago's premiere big firms. If you can't keep you mouth shut, you're not very professional now are you? If you absolutely MUST extol your honest life beliefs to everyone who presses you on the issue, take a hike!

My home life is my home life - I do not let it intrude at work. As a professional, my work life is my work life. I'll let my work intrude on my home life before I'll let home intrude on work. No matter when you catch me, I'm a lawyer. But if you catch me at work, I feel no need to assert or act in accordance with my personal private home-life beliefs, including the aforementioned Mary Lou Retton.

To people who can't maintain the required professionalism (meaning: what the job demands) in their careers, I say: grow up.