View Single Post
Old 10-16-2003, 03:57 AM   #49
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

This is ridiculous. Chewbacca, we're speaking English. As such, words have specific meanings. You can't simply decide a word means whatever you want it to. If "Karma" doesn't work for you then don't use it. Don't go attempting to redefine the definition simply because it doesn't fit into your belief system.

As such I introduced the term in the correct historical and English usage. Perhaps I should have defined my terms more correctly. In any case, you took exception to my words so I shall clarify them.

Karma in my argument means this:

kar·ma
Pronunciation: 'kär-m& also 'k&r-
Function: noun
Etymology: Sanskrit karma fate, work
Date: 1827
1 often capitalized : the force generated by a person's actions held in Hinduism and Buddhism to perpetuate transmigration and in its ethical consequences to determine the nature of the person's next existence

----------------
from this site:
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/freenet/r...hs/karma2.html
Quote:
The Law of Karma
In Buddhist teaching, the law of karma, says only this: `for every event that occurs, there will follow another event whose existence was caused by the first, and this second event will be pleasant or unpleasant according as its cause was skillful or unskillful.' A skillful event is one that is not accompanied by craving, resistance or delusions; an unskillful event is one that is accompanied by any one of those things. (Events are not skillful in themselves, but are so called only in virtue of the mental events that occur with them.)

Therefore, the law of Karma teaches that responsibility for unskillful actions is born by the person who commits them
---------------

It's ridiuclous the way that you'll use a pre-existing word that has a specific meaning, and then act as though the word means whatever you deem it should. Like "Christ". Do you even understand what the word means? It simply means "Annointed one". When you use words like "ones inner Christ" it becomes ludicrous. Ones inner annointed one? "Christ was an honorific accorded Yeshua, not a name he was born with. It has exactly the same meaning as "Messiah". Do you refer to your inner messiah? Pre-existing meanings are important when discussing Chewbacca, otherwise confusion reigns.

In the context of my discourse, what I said about Karma holds and I see no reason to retract it. If ever I speak of Karma, I am speaking of the historical Buddhist, Hindu and Jainist word, term and idea, not some reinvented definition of you or another American pseudo-amalgamators choosing.

Secondly, I maintain, a generalisation was made on peoples motivations. A huge generalisation that inclued me in it's umbrella. This is very different to making a comparitive comment on a worldview - on a set of ideas - as held by a billion odd people.

Like it or not Karma is the measurement of a persons actions, as held by the overwhelming majority of people who adhere to it's reality. As such, it is the applier of guilt and consequence and effect for a persons actions. Jewish "Law" does exactly the same thing, which is why I used both.

The idea of the sinless Yeshua dying on the cross, and paying the ultimate price in the place of humanity is one that places people who accept his atonement outside of that consequence. Outside of Law, outside of Karma.

Your protestations merely serve to distract from what I was actually saying. That accepting Yeshua, REMOVES GUILT. Christians full of the awareness of Yeshuas love should be walking around guilt free. If there is guilt, it is a flaw in the believers mindset, as it is not co-aligning with Yeshuas promises and teaching that they have accepted.

Let's not walk down a bizzarre path of confusing terms that have nothing to do with what I was speaking about, nor the topic at hand.

http://www.hughwilson.com